Searching For An Affordable Vacation
Many of us are so busy or are on such a tight budget, that the idea of a fabulous affordable vacation may seem unattainable this year, not true, read below and I will show you how you can have that weeks vacation for 2 with a resort stay with us here at the Loralea Country Inn Resort and only spend $1000.00 dollars.
It may not be a luxury vacation with all the trimmings but it will still be remembered as an enjoyable time away from the job and your every day routine.
Suggested summer vacation for two people for under $1000 and what can I expect to get?
Let’s get started with the big expenses first.
- Cabin for 2 – week in July and August $625.00 plus $81.25 tax = $706.25
- Food $200.00 for the week.
- Gas $50.00
Total $956.25 – Not much left, I’ll show you how to spend the rest shortly.
The cabin we suggest is studio cabin #6 which will give you the following:
400 sq ft studio cabin with a great view of Halls Lake
- Studio cabin is like a bachelor flat, all in one room
- Side deck for taking in the sun
- Deck facing lake with BBQ and screened in dining tent
- Picnic table and your own fire pit for the nightly campfires, no charge for firewood
- Bring your guitar and sing a tune, forget the blasters we’re not into loud music, we promote relaxing getaways
- Wireless high speed available. It’s surprising how many people watch a movie on their computer by the fire pit
- Queen bed with double futon
- Linen supplied along with hand towels and face cloths, bring bath sheets and beach towels
- Wood burning fireplace inside but not used in July and August
- TV and VCR, no satellite but we do have a collection of VCR movies available, no charge
- 3 piece washroom with shower
- Table and two chairs for eating with view of lake
- Mini fridge with small freezer, two burner stove, micro-wave, coffee maker with filters, toaster and kettle. Since we’re just a small resort feel free to make use of our freezer
- Pots and pans, dishes and utensils, mugs and glasses
- Garbage bags, hand soap, dish washing soap and towels supplied
- Dresser, night stand, clock radio beside bed
or for plenty of pictures see picture album
or see Cabin Rental #6 video
Food for the Vacation Week
The food allowance of $200 will give you great meals to enjoy on your vacation as long as you plan every meal and buy from your plan when on sale.
Don’t forget there is a BBQ, cabin does not have an oven but BBQ will replace that.
Plan on buying food from your own local stores and not up here where the cost is much higher.
There is a bakery across the road from us where you can get fresh bread and milk if need be.
Same with gas, fill up tank at home where price is lower.
Vacation Things To Do For 2
Forget things like the Walk in the Clouds in the Haliburton Forest @ $240.00 or renting fishing boats @300.00 and seadoos that’s in the $500’s and you only have $43.75 left to spend.
You will have to look for things to do that cost a little or are already on the resort that you can use for enjoying your vacation.
On-Site Resort Suggestions on things to do – Free
Playing in the Sand on Beach
- Use the paddle boats
- Take a canoe ride
- Do some fishing, don’t buy worms, ask me for a shovel and find them in the bush under rocks, you can get minnows from a local bait shop
- Grab a floater and collect some sun on the lake
- Have a swim, safe sandy beach area
- Build some sand castles
- Bring your camera, family of ducks come by daily and being in the country you never know what will drop by for a visit
- Bring your own personal yard games
- Play some board games outside on the picnic table, we have some board games
- Enjoy a campfire at night, count the stars and just relax in the fresh country air
- Wireless Internet is available so bring your lap top and some movies
Off-Site Suggestions of activities – no cost
- Local hiking trails
- Have a picnic at the Hawk Lake Log Chute
- Buttermilk Falls, picnic, see falls, walk beside river, fishing
- Visit the dump to see some bears
- Tour some local museums or artists shops
- Nice leisurely walk around the lake
- Bring your bikes and take a ride
Off-Site Suggestions of activities – small cost
- Pick a week where there is a fair or Heritage Day $10.oo for 2
- Visit the Wolf Centre at the Haliburton Forest Reserve – $24.00 for 2
- Visit the Dorset Scenic Lookout Tower, Tower Kiosk and Picnic Site are operated and maintained for your enjoyment by The Township of Algonquin Highlands – Cars $5.00
- Tour the town of Haliburton where Head Lake is in the center of town
- Visit Haliburton Highlands Museum, The museum is situated in Glebe Park on the north shore of Head Lake overlooking Haliburton Village – admission by donation
- The Stanhope Museum located in the Haliburton Highlands of Ontario is home to more than 140 years of records and artifacts – $4.00
- Then there always is the Algonquin Park, a favourite of many. Day use permits allow for day visits (valid until 10:00 p.m. of date of issue) to Algonquin Park, including access to trails, museums, beaches, and picnic grounds – $16.00*/vehicle /day
Ice Cream Time
Now I said earlier I will tell you of a way to spend the remainder of your money, if it’s not already gone.
Almost everybody does it, it requires a short walk with your spouse, here it is – just before the campfire walk to the chip shop for your favourite ice cream in a cone or a cup.
There’s enough flavours to have a different one every day.
Watch out they shut down at 7 pm through the week.
The kids love it and so do we.
Not Impossible Just A Challenge
Enjoying a romantic vacation for two for under $1000 is not impossible, it’s just a challenge. You will just have to spend some time on planning your entertainment or activities that the both of you will enjoy and that cost a little.
Vacation Ideas For Things To Do
The activities are out there like visiting the Wolfe Centre, take a hike at the Hawk Lake Log Chute, take a canoe ride, hiking, play badminton or shuffle board, take a swim, have a campfire, visit some local museums or artists shops.
For more ideas Sign Up Here to receive blog post updates and we will send them directly to your E-maill address.
Good Luck on your planning and enjoy your summer vacation for 2 and things to do in the Haliburton Highlands.
We do have other studio cabins available which will give you all the above for $25.oo less on accommodations but does not have the view of lake that cabin #6 has.
Another way to save approx. $100.00 is to take your vacation in June or September. Some people prefer that, they find the area is not as busy as July and August and they find it a little more of a relaxing getaway with the kids back in school and the prime summer vacations are over.
Remember we’re here to help you find what your looking for, just call or E-mail us, we’ll be glad to assist.